Saturday, March 23, 2013

In The Service of What? by Kahne and Westheimer - Reflections

I really had trouble trying to figure out what to write about in this blog, and what type of blog to write. 
This article describes the different ways a service learning project can be organized.  It can be organized to focus on the charity aspect, or focus on the critical inquiry and action aspect.
I have a lot of experience with volunteering and community service.  In high school we had to community service to graduate.  It was part of our civics class.  You had to do the hours, and then create and present a PowerPoint presentation.  I remember I did my hours at the Boys’ and Girls’ Club of Cumberland/Lincoln.  I volunteered as a camp counselor during school vacation camp.   I had a lot of fun working with the children at the camp.  I also did community service for my confirmation class.  I did different tasks, like making signs, to help get ready for the bazar that my church has every year.  My brother coaches for Special Olympics, and I also help his teams sometimes.  One time they went to a flag football tournament that was at Gillette Stadium.  The teams played their games on the Patriots home field.  It was a great experience, for the athletes and for the families.  Being able to go onto the field was an experience in itself. 





    

 

I thought this picture what a creative way to look at the components of service learning.


Point to Share: I think service learning is a good opportunity to learn about one’s community.  To be able to make connections and relationships with people that you may not necessarily have come in contact otherwise.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole, I really liked your blog and I used it for my extended comments post. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole, loved your blog post! I completely agree with your point to share. It is a great opportunity to learn more about your community and to be able to help others in need opens a lot of people's eyes. Loved all the pictures you put up on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, I had the same issue with trying to figure out what to write about, and I figured there is so much information about Service Learning that hyperlinks would be pretty easy. I really liked your reflection version. I also loved all of the pictures (:

    ReplyDelete